Monday, October 27, 2008

Vcon Leek and Bean Cassoulet


I've had three leeks sitting in my fridge for maybe two weeks from our produce box, so I've been wanting to do something with them for a long, long time. Luckily they keep pretty well. Today I attempted the Veganomicon leek and bean cassoulet recipe to remedy the situation.

I have to say, it turned out really nice. BTW, those white bits at the top are biscuits, not cauliflowers! A very hearty, wintry stew, and the biscuits that go with it add a really nice crunchy texture.

I did a few changes as usual: skipped potatoes since we're all out, increased the amount of leeks (well, I wanted to be at least one whole leek down), & added some cabbage that I'm also trying to use up.

**
In other news, a cookbook zine I ordered about three weeks ago finally got here, Hot Damn and Hell Yeah which presents vegan southern/tex-mex food. Bethany at Spotted Devil Cat reviewed a few of the recipes a while ago, so I will definitely check those out. Looks pretty good overall so I'm excited.

1 comment:

Jen Treehugger said...

3 Leeks, 2 weeks, 1 delicious looking Stew!
:)

I've still not tried that recipe yet - but it is on my list of things to make!!
Yours looks lovely.

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.