Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cabbage Stir-fry, Sweet Potato Gnocchi


I made a stir-fry yesterday with cabbage, red bell peppers, and tofu in an attempt to use up the cabbage & red bell pepper. It was pretty good, the cabbage and pepper were nice and crisp so that was a nice contrasting texture to the soft tofu and noodles.

**

Today we have friends coming over for dinner, so I made sweet potato gnocchi. I was worried about not having enough time so I started early, but I was too early, so I decided freezing the gnocchi was probably a better idea than leaving it out for two hours. There they are awaiting their fate in a baking tray.

I always wanted to try a sweet potato version of gnocchi, ever since I found out it was an option. Last week I plugged in "vegan cooking shows" to you tube & this sweet potato gnocchi recipe came up. The guy in it suggests going half and half with sweet potatoes & regular since regular potatoes are starchy and that starchiness makes the dough easier to work with, although a google search revealed lots of people do pure sweet potato. I made the thyme vinaigrette and lemon cashew cream at Vegan Yum Yum that Lolo uses to top her gnocchi.

I'm also planning to make an arugula and quinoa salad based loosely on one I saw in Veganomicon, so we'll see how all this goes.

2 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmm Sweet Potato Gnocchi - what a FAB idea!

Bethany said...

they look so cute all lined up on the tray.

I've only made their potato version, but it freezes so well. best gnocci I've ever had.

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.