Friday, October 03, 2008

Quinoa with Summer Squash

This was supposed to be last night's dinner, but instead we went out to watch the potential vice presidents debating each other - strange, I know - and ended up eating out (hummus platter and onion rings - a nice balance I think between healthy vs. unhealthy).

Anyway, since it was all pretty much ready, I went ahead and ate it for lunch. I was inspired by Mark Bittman's recipe for pasta with butternut squash over at his blog Bitten, so decided to follow his instructions for the squash but pair it with quinoa (pronounced keen-wa, a grain). It was a little bland, so I doctored it with everything suggested in the recipe: salt, pepper, a teaspoon of sugar, and (from one of the comments) chili powder. When I ate it I discovered it needed another direction: soy sauce. So I'm thinking of adding some bok choy (Chinese cabbage that came in our produce box) and some ginger for dinner to push it further into pseudo-Asian territory.

Speaking of the CSA box: it was packed! I really don't know how we're going to finish all this food. Apples, a bunch of grapes, pluots (like plums), the bok choy, celery, pears, a big cucumber, one onion, parsley, radishes, and lettuce! For two people, for one week. Not to mention we still have other produce we need to eat. I'll report how it goes.

1 comment:

Sheree' said...

Quinoa is so good and good for you. Perfect dish!

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.