Friday, November 14, 2008

Caramelized Pear Bread Pudding


So, as planned, I used up the last of the overripe pears yesterday. Since they were really soft, I was wondering if they could replace bananas in a quick bread. I turned to the internet, discovered it was possible, and got the idea somewhere to make a bread pudding. Bread puddings have been in the back of my mind since I saw this at veganlovlie. Anyway, Google revealed pear bread puddings did exist, and found me a recipe from the Mayo Clinic's website, of all places. I did the usual vegan substitutions, and it turned out to be pretty pleasant, warm with a little crispiness in the midst of much creaminess. I think some ice-cream would've gone really well with it too. It was a little heavy though, even though it uses only 3 tablespoons of fat.

4 comments:

Rosiecat24 said...

Hubba hubba, Yasmin! Your caramelized pear bread pudding sounds and looks fantastic! Perhaps you might consider mailing me a slice? :-)

Joanna said...

oh oh this looks divine!!! i love sweet, juicy pears. harry and david have the best ones around!!!

Sheree' said...

My sister and I were just talking about bread pudding yesterday. I have never had it. since it is always made with tons of eggs and milk I just stayed away from it. Maybe I will have to try vegan bread pudding.

Bethany said...

yummy! you've been really busy cooking lately.

Bread pudding is supposed to be heavy, I think (well that's how I always have had it :). I love it with maple syrup, ice cream (as you mentioned) or fake whipped cream. Can't go wrong w/ it.

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.