Friday, November 14, 2008

Cabbage Rolls, take two


I gave cabbage rolls (mahshy kromb) another shot today. I'm pleased to say it turned out way better than last time. I can attribute the success to several things done differently (mostly due to the guidance of the recipe): using regular cabbage instead of Chinese (Chinese cabbage has a different, thicker texture) and cutting the stalky parts of the cabbage leaves - these add too much bulk. I used a different recipe, also from The Language of Baklava, and just excluded the meat. The stuffing was a chickpea, onion and rice mixture with a little cumin and cinnamon. It tasted pretty good, although not exactly Egyptian as I know it. It was cooked on the stove, simmering for about an hour, not in the oven as lots of non-Middle Eastern recipes seem to call for.

I'll probably make these again. They weren't as fiddly as I thought, although somehow I ended up with less than a dozen, because a bunch of cabbage leaves got accidentally torn.

Oh, and on the right of the plate is a bunch of baked Jerusalem artichokes (or sunchokes). They're quite similar to potatoes in taste and texture.

2 comments:

Sheree' said...

I love cabbage rolls. I have a soft spot for cabbage. YUM! Thanks for tagging me, it gave me something to post about when the day goes all wrong. :o)

Bethany said...

I really have to check out that book. I remember you posting on it before it sounds so interesting.

Stuffed cabbage looks really yummy.

for some reason I have never cooked jerusalem artichokes. I have only had them raw. Now I know :)

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.