Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tiramisu & Pasta Della California



Things have been busy. I went to Boston really briefly, for a few days, to visit my cousin who was also visiting.

Before I left I made some note-worthy things: the Pasta Della California from Veganomicon (recipe here) and the tiramisu from the Candle Cafe cookbook. The pasta was incredible, and highly recommended - who knew lots of garlic, broccoli and avocados would taste so incredible together?

The tiramisu was really good as well - very light, and with tofu used to replace all that dairy.

Boston was fun, despite the freezing weather (snow, snow, snow), but it served an important function in making Seattle seem warm in comparison.

Besides that, I recently got a book entitled "Creating a Life Worth Living" by Carol Lloyd which is quite similar in subject to "The Artist's Way," if you're familiar with it. The idea is to figure out what you really want to do with your life & career through a workshop-style week-by-week program with exercises to do and questions to think about and the like.

In an attempt to fill up the countless of hours of my day, I joined a gym that just opened in my neighborhood and am meeting with a personal trainer today. This is scary because, despite a brief gym-intense phase as a college freshman, I have avoided and disliked gyms for much of my life.

My other endeavor began last night: a writing class I signed up for many moons ago had its first session yesterday. The class seems like it will be really focused on pushing towards a structured and eventually completed piece ready for publication, whether it's a book chapter or essay. The other class members seem really diverse in their backgrounds and also what they want to write, so I think it should make for an interesting experience. I feel nervous about exposing myself through my writing like this - but I'm sure I'm not the only one in the class, so here goes nothing.

2 comments:

Rosiecat24 said...

I have two thoughts on your post, Yasmin.

1) I also hate gyms! I like working out, but I much prefer to work out at home or outside.

2) Be brave in your writing class! One has to take risks in order to find riches, right?

xo,
Rose-Anne

Bethany said...

the food looks awesome!

It's amazing how good avacados taste when they are heated up. For some reason, I haven't seen this recipe in Vcon yet, but now it's on my list.

Same for the tiramisu recipe in the candle cafe cookbook. how could I have missed that?

Meetings w/ personal trainers are a good way to keep going to the gym. I'm working out at home now. That's how I function best, unless I'm within a block of a gym.

The writing class sounds like fun and I'm sure it will also be challenging.

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.