Friday, January 16, 2009

kitchen flops: semolina pudding

A semolina pudding recipe I came across in Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian sounded too intruiging to pass up. Semolina (usually used to make pasta) in a dessert?

I made a few adaptions to the recipe, the worst being subbing yogurt with tofu cream cheese, which killed it, and resulted in a funky dessert (bad funky). In taste tests throughout the process (read: licking spoons), it was great, but I guess that tangy cream cheese flavor the overall taste off.

The semi saving grace was an optional rosewater glaze that gets put on post-baking. To make it, combine 3 C confectionar's sugar with 1-2 teaspoons of rosewater (I used one, and even less might be better) and 1/2 cup of water (or soy milk) and whisk til smooth. Try it anywhere a regular glaze would go, like scones, cakes, or doughnuts if you're that kind of girl or boy. I'm barely a glaze girl at all, so we'll see what becomes of the cup or so that remains.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I think the kitchen gods are trying to get even because you found 2 good recipes recently. At least that's how it works for me.

Rosewater glaze sounds interesting. glaze is my favorite fixer upper.

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.