Sunday, January 06, 2008

An hour a day...

will make you a better writer.

I'm rereading Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, which I honestly cannot recommend highly enough. Her advice is simple but essential. Like most writing advice its core is, ' just write,' but she also offers a lot of encouragement and good ways to view writing. She advises that we write for sanity and as a way to penetrate our lives. And she reminds us that the writing is the important thing, not the finished work. That we are not the finished piece, that we are already good and deserving of love without having to be good writers.

In fact my friend gave me a very good piece of writing advice along these lines just now: "enjoy the process and you'll love the outcome even more."

So we'll see how long this an hour a day thing lasts. I'm always very reluctant to set goals for myself then fail to meet them, preferring to 'wait and see how it goes.'

No comments:

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.