Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I Made Gnocchi

And my sister said it "tasted like the real thing."

Gnocchi is kind of like ravioli, but with potatoes.

First you mash up potatoes, add flour until it becomes dough, then roll it until it's really thin (1 cm, if you can - I couldn't), divide these rolled ropes into 2 cm bits, then either freeze for later boiling or boil at once.

Pretty labor-intensive, or at least time consuming, not a bad thing in Ramadan.

Because we have so much food in the fridge, and I'm worried it'll all go bad, I've been trying to think of things to make with it, so the gnocchi was me dealing with the potatoes. Some the food is already cooked up, but there are lots of excess raw ingredients: courgettes, carrots, chickpeas, tomatoes, half a pumpkin, an open can of sprouts, eggplants, lettuce, red and yellow peppers, cauliflower, beans, and some mangoes and grapes that I think already went bad.

Today I made mint sauce and chickpea soup.

The mint sauce looks scary but I'm pretty sure the chickpea soup will be alright.

2 comments:

Faintly Pink said...

A 'leftover' 3zooma is the best idea!

Aida said...

i heart gnocchi

Occasional art, comics, food, and other things of less interest to the general public.